Pin oaks and certain maples are prone to developing iron chlorosis. Iron chlorosis is a condition where the leaves of the tree are pale yellow with veins that are darker green. This is caused by the inability of pin oak to uptake iron when soil PH is too high. If not treated the tree will slowly decline. There are typically two ways to remedy this situation. The first is to treat the soil with a product that contains sulfur and iron. The sulfur lowers the PH of the soil then the iron is the available for use by the tree. The other method is to drill holes into the tree and insert iron implant capsules. By putting iron directly in to the tree you bypass the problem of high PH soils. Call us to discuss which method is right for your tree.
When planning to attract butterflies to your garden, it is important to remember the following requirements:
1. Butterflies linger in sunny places! They are "cold blooded" and require warmth to be active.
2. Butterflies linger in places protected from the wind. They are more wings then body and are affected by gusts of wind.
3. Butterflies linger where moisture and minerals are provided. They don't drink like most animals; they must "lick" water from moist surfaces. Add ordinary table salt to provide necessary nutrients.
4. Butterflies linger where there is a source of nectar. Research plant varieties for providing season long sources of nectar. Another helpful hint is knowing that butterflies are insects that have a life cycle with two feeding stages; the caterpillar and the mature stage. Caterpillars require adequate leaf materials to chew before the adults require nectar.
5. People linger in the butterfly garden to relax and watch the fun. Be sure and provide a bench, gazebo, swing or other lawn furniture to enjoy the entire experience. The folks at Tree Top Nursery can assist you in everything you need to create your very own butterfly garden!
© Copyright 2016 Tree Top Nursery | All Rights Reserved